Service quote I like and tonight

Service is the virtue that has distinguished the great of all times and which they will be remembered by. It places a mark of nobility upon its disciples. It is the dividing line which separates the two great groups of the world—those who help and those who hinder, those who lift and those who lean, those who contribute and those who only consume. How much better it is to give than to receive. Service in any form is comely and beautiful. To give encouragement, to impart sympathy, to show interest, to banish fear, to build self-confidence and awaken hope in the hearts of others, in short to love them and to show it is to render the most precious service.” ~Pres. Hinckley's Father

Because I grew up outside of UT, I try very hard to make sure that those who are non LDS members feel welcome. As I have heard numerous times since I moved here, that they have felt left out, over looked, or shunned because they are not of our faith. I was the minority where I lived and so I try very hard to ask and not assume, if those around me are LDS and help them feel included regardless of whether they are or not. I have some great neighbors and friends who are not LDS, but are very good people and faithful in their own religion.
So we had some new neighbors move in a couple weeks ago. Cute little family, 3 small children under the age of 5. I introduced myself, gave them our numbers in case they needed something and let them know if they did, to let us know. Tonight they needed us. She came to the door, in tears, asking if we had seen her little girl. She had found her the night before on the front porch looking at the stars because where they just moved from you couldn't really see them, and her we can. (That's one of the reasons I LOVE where I live by the way.)
Needless to say, we got the word out, had probably 1/4 the ward out looking and calling for this little girl. Sheriff at their door. In the end, although they had looked through the house a couple times, they found her safe and sound in one of the bedrooms, under the bed asleep. Thank goodness. This family is so grateful! And as much as we told them not to feel bad about bugging any of us for a child, they still of course were feeling kind of bad. But she said, If there is anything anyone ever needs, I am there! However, I am grateful that they felt welcome enough that she could come over and ask for help, and take the help. And that now they know if they need it again, the neighborhood is here to help!
Did I mention, I LOVE where I live??!! (And I do kind of have a thing for doing service. Ask my husband, I think it drives him crazy sometimes. Good thing he loves me and he already said yes for eternity ; )

Comments

Ulya said…
man, I wish you lived closer to me, you sound like such a nice neighbor! Where do you live by the way? Somewhere Utah?

Popular Posts