20/20 Hindsight Blessings

The Lord in all His greatness, always knows! He will give us what we need, when and where we need it.

Luke put off signing paperwork for his VA benefits for quite some time. He was a little scared about what that might mean with his military career. Things are finally done and gone through, with 80%. We are working on finishing and getting 100%.
However, with this came a huge check that was backdated to Feb when he did turn in the paperwork. We paid for a few things and then put the rest into the bank.
At the beginning of the month weather went from nice warm to cold in just a day. I turned on the heat that night. It did that smell that it does the first couple times you turn it on (or at least for mine.) That night... the smoke detectors went off... at midnight! We looked through the house, nothing. The basement detector is a carbon monoxide detector too. It talks and tells you which one. Which it was saying fire. Walked and looked around the house outside and still finding nothing.We tried to turn them off, tried to reset them, but it wouldn't work. The kids even woke up! (which is another story) So a call to 911 and out to the van with kids to watch a movie, and keep them warm. Fire department came, walked through the house, and found nothing. The smoke detectors reset themselves while they were in there. They ask when I had changed them last. Thought it hadn't been that long, but I was planning on changing the batteries that weekend (conference weekend). Needless to say we changed them the next day! LOL
So the next morning the heat is not kicking on. I turn it on and it sounds like it starts to turn on and then it cuts right back off. Time to call the furnace-air conditioning-plumber guys. (Who evidently fixed my air conditioning this summer, at about 11 pm- no joke, thank goodness!) Anyway, they come and we found a screw in the fan -computer part that tells it to turn on. It had bent a piece and it was going to have to be replaced. Now for you out there that don't know, this little fan-computer, maybe about the size of a cantaloupe, cost $1100!!! And the big fan that pumps your air through needed to be cleaned too. So not a cheap fix but thank goodness we have the money. Then they start talking and explain that we are half way to a full new and better (because our home builder of course put in the cheapest they could, even in yes, the model home.) So we have the money and opt to go full new with 5 year warranty, rather than spend more and more money later to keep fixing it.
Then last week (yes it just keeps coming as my last post talks about- LOL) I went down to the basement into food storage, to get some tuna for lunch. I found water flooding my food storage area. I called some wonderful girlfriends and neighbors came and help me clean it out. (It hasn't happened in awhile.) And time to call the guys again. They can't come out until the next day, but asked questions and had me try a couple things. Sprinklers get turned off and drained and turn off water into the house. I call the city to see if I have the water turned off, if it will cost me. For those who want to know, no cost to turn off or back on, but they say it usually takes 3-4 days. I tell her my basement is trying to flood. She calls the city workers as an emergency and they came out a little while later. They check their end, no such luck it being the city's side, dang it! They tell me to call first thing in the morning if I want them to turn it off.
Coming into the house is the main water line and the sprinkler line. Around the holes where those are coming in, is where the water is coming into the house. So I turn off the water connection inside the house. At the same time I know I have a leaking hose faucet. We left the hose on last winter, don't recommend doing that. By that night a few hours later the water coming into the basement had gone down to a small trickle on the sprinkler side. So pretty sure its the sprinklers.
I called the furnace-air conditioning-plumber guys, I tell them I still need them to come fix the hose faucet, but that I am pretty sure the other is just the sprinklers. No problem right... wrong! Later that night I am in the basement working on pillows for Tanner's class. He says, "Mom it's leaking here." "No it's not." "Yes, I felt it on my shoulder right here." So I look and sure enough... water leaking down. Not a lot but UUUGGG! It seems to be coming from the kitchen water line. So I head upstairs and look under the sink. There's no water under sink, so in the 6 inches between the floor of sink and the basement floor is where it's at.
So the guy comes out and checks out the hose faucet, fixes that. (Got the lifetime warranty one. Cost more but as long as we take off hose in winter...) The leak under the sink for right now is an easy one, as he just tightened the connectors. (Had someone fix it with Home depot plastic parts, while Luke was in Iraq.) They will need to be replaced at some point.
OK, so leakage taken care of for now. Will have to do sprinklers in spring before we turn them back on.
Then comes the blessings, other than we had the money to do all this. When I called to let them know I needed plumbing help, the guy tells me it was a good thing that we got a new furnace. It had 3 holes in it (somewhere I don't remember) and something else wrong with it. He told me, "You all would have been dead by spring." I said, "Dead as in furnace dead or dead as in blow my house up?" He says, "No as in carbon monoxide poisoning. The silent killer."

... WOW. Thank you Lord! So many blessings from little ones to big ones. Who says God isn't working miracles today? Everyday from my little babies who give me hugs and tell me they love me, to making me hungry for tuna so I would walk down to the basement, to having the money to get a new furnace that we otherwise would most likely have killed us.
He KNOWS what we need and will give it to us when and where we need it. Even when we don't think it is what or when we need it.

Comments

stewbert said…
WOW! Glad you got your furnace replaced!

Just made Kiddo go put new batteries in our CO detector....

Popular Posts